Midnight Sighs: A Waka*
Tender is the night
wordlessly bare and breathless
soft rugged rushed sighs
breaks velvet night’s masked silence—
‘til we said the last goodbyes.
©2016 Rosemawrites@A Reading Writer. All Rights Reserved.
Photo credit: Unsplash
The waka is:
- a pentastich, a poem written in 5 lines.
- syllabic, 5-7-5-7-7 syllables. 31 onji, in English, 31 syllables.
- true to the heart of the poet. The inspiration is to be drawn from the experience.
- an early model for the tanka and many other Japanese forms.
- gathered into collections. In most Japanese anthologies poems are arranged in seasonal sequence followed by considered, poetic-worthy topics such as love or grief.