“No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. No surprise in the writer, no surprise in the reader.” ― Robert Frost
I am admittedly
It is then
that the books
are those which
make me cry,
which dried up
my heart and eyes.
So here are my Five-Star Favorite Tearjerkers of all Time
1. Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks
2. Me Before You (Me Before You, #1) by Jojo Moyes
3. If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman
4. Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult
5. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
6. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
7. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
8. The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto by Mitch Albom
9. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
10. All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven
Photo credit: Goodreads
In response to The Broke and the Bookish‘s Top Ten Tuesday today:
March 22: Ten Books I Really Love But Feel Like I Haven’t Talked About Enough/In A While
P.S. What are your top tearjerker reads? Or maybe your fave reads recently?
Tell me? 😀
Here is the Day 14 question of the 30 Day Book Challenge.
14. Book that made you cry.
I am a person who easily cries. Really! When I see my mom crying, I cry. When I am happy, I cry. When I am angry I cry. You can consider me a crying lady. 😀
But in terms of novels, there are just a few who has really moved me and touched my heart in a very special way. I have read 90 books so far but there are less than ten novels that released waters in my tear glands. Here they are:
- Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks – This is the first book that I cried during and after reading it. I hated the ending because it is really painful. The words are just so melancholic and the ending haunted me for some time. I hope that it had a different finale though I think that was the beauty of the book, it is painful yet it is full of love.
- At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks – Another Sparks book that made me cry. What moved me in this book is the fact that I never predicted that that is how the book will end. All the while, Jeremy and Lexie thought that their first child would die, and then the ending happened in an entirely different twist. I was caught off guard and I can’t help but cry on how their story has ended.
- Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks – Another tearjerker by Nicholas Sparks. In just more than 100 pages, this book has told a story of love and lost that tugs the heart in a special way. I will not forget how I silently cry at 3 in the morning while I am reading this book. This is not your typical boy meets girls love story but it did tell a true love story that is both painful and blissful to remember.
- The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks – What’s different in this novel is that this is the first book that I cried not because of its ending. I was crying during the first few pages of this book. How good was that! The letters written by the character is just so touching. You can feel the truest love that he has for his wife. Sparks is indeed a genius in making me cry.
- The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks –Because this is a father-and-daughter story, I related in so many ways in this book. Ronnie hated his dad but his dad had shown him love and trust, thus gradually, she learned to love his dad. Until that fateful day happened. Steve’s love for Ronnie touched my heart in a way that made me realize how much my dad loves me and how lucky I am to have a father until now. Because of that, I ended up crying.
- If I Stay by Gayle Forman – Mia is a character that I can relate a lot. I was moved to tears when she expressed his sadness after knowing that her little brother had died. We share the same fears and hopes for our siblings. And I can feel her pain when she thought of all the things that her baby brother will not be able to do because he had gone too soon.
- For One More Day by Mitch Albom – This is a mother-and-son story that shows that mother can do anything for her child. The ‘Times My Mom Stood for Me’ and ‘Times I Did not Stand For My Mom’ scenes are just so touching. Albom is a master of talking about life after death and he did this without being too sad and gloomy. Though he really tear me up a time or two.
So there they are. I hope you can also relate with my views.